Sunday, January 6, 2013

The Troopa Challenge

The store where I most recently worked sells Steve Madden Troopa Boots. Most interestingly to me, women often responded to these boots in one of two ways. First, they'd be happy that the store had their size because they'd been looking for them forever and they absolutely had to have them. The next was...confusion. How were they supposed to be worn? How could combat boots be feminine, pretty, and fashionable? The easiest thing to do would be to summon one of our managers, who styled her Troopa boots pretty much every day. If she wasn't there, we would have someone try them on and she would have an "aha" moment, realizing that even if she wasn't going to buy them that day, it would be much easier to incorporate that style of shoe into her wardrobe than she would have originally thought.
I always say that I am better at dressing other people than I am myself. Because I am so familiar with my body, I get myself into a routine. This is what happened to me with flats: I have been wearing a long sleeved black T-shirt, skinny jeans, and flats as a "safe outfit" since I was a sophomore in college. I AM ABOUT TO BE 27 YEARS OLD. I think it's time for a change!
I would never want to get rid of certain preppy elements I love, like a bright infinity scarf or classic pearls. However, the Troopa Boots and a patterned shirt are a little bit more of a reach for me. Rounded off with reliable Old Navy skinny jeans (really, I love them. And I am so happy that the jean that fits me best is under $40) and a terrific statement ring, this is an outfit I would actually feel cool in and, best of all, actually wear.
I think one of the most fun resolutions someone can make is going outside his or her style comfort zone (like when the Dude got skinny jeans and they looked awesome on him.) It often yields the very best results.
Here's to more fruitful style challenges in the upcoming year!


The Troopa Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment