Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Cautious Kitchen Adventures

I have to say that I'm pretty surprised to be writing this post.

I am someone who learned to love going out to dinner at a very young age. In my father's office, there is an article about him that mentions our weekly dinner dates at a local steakhouse. The article was written when I was about six years old.

As I grew up, going out to dinner had different meanings: a first date, time with friends, and getting to catch up with my family.

Up until the past year, I kind of enjoyed being "the girl who didn't cook." The idea of being in the kitchen (aside from baking cupcakes, which always relaxed me) didn't appeal to me in the least. Plus, the kitchen seemed like an excellent place for my neuroses to flourish (I am so, so scared of undercooked chicken) and I consequently avoided it.

In the past several months, however, the kitchen and I are inching towards a friendship. I think the difference is that I am building up gradually. I've started making simple salads or working with a premade meal from Trader Joe's and adding more vegetables. Now that the kitchen and I are becoming better buddies, I'm also getting a better idea of what I actually use the most. The result? Less waste and an increasing ability to see how different components of a meal can be mixed, matched, and paired with one another to create something new. It's certainly not rocket science and something that I should have learned sooner. But it is a good thing, and I will embrace it and hopefully let it evolve even more.

I am all for celebrating something new, so here are some of my favorite kitchen accessories.



I'm no Barefoot Contessa, but I'm looking forward to learning more and more in my kitchen as the year continues! 

No comments:

Post a Comment