Monday, December 3, 2012

Holiday Survival Guide: Part 1

Holiday travel begins this week, and with it comes some moments that are...less than ideal.
I'm not sure quite where my mentality comes from (oldest child? hoarder? general weirdo?), but I just like having what I need when I need it, especially when it seems like I can't control anything that's going on around me.

I think that when most people (myself included) pack, we tend to think of only the good moments. We do not think of the moments when we are hiding in a room wishing we could be magically teleported back to our apartments. However, having had some of those moments, here are some of the things that can add some pleasantry to a challenging holiday excursion.

Tocca Stella fragrance: I find it kind of funny that one of the fragrance's top notes is bitter orange (http://www.bluemercury.com//citrus-perfume/tocca-stella-eau-de-parfum.asp) because when I needed it last year, I was quite the bitter orange myself. It got me through some pretty emotional moments and also brightened up a chilly destination that in many ways was the opposite of my home in Florida.

EOS lip balm: Swirling the sphere around your lips (it's hard to get too much on) is weirdly soothing. My favorite time to do this is when I'm waiting for a plane to take off. Might as well moisturize during that dead time...plus, the sphere (and the fragrance above) both meet TSA carry-on standards.

Peppermint Tootsie Pops: I found these at a Target last year and they were absurdly wonderful for crunching away my aggression while hiding in a room with my nook. During that same trip, I discovered the Hunger Games series. In retrospect, including the stress weight I dropped, the trip wasn't so bad after all. Bonus: Even if your trip is going well and you're not annoyed, having a Tootsie Pop or two will help ease a craving for sweets without the same caloric burden carried by a huge slice of pie or a bunch of holiday cookies. For the sake of honesty, I think it's fair to say I crunched my way aggressively through many more than two Tootsie Pops during that vacation. But life goes on.

Now that I've gotten out my worries/strategies for stressful vacation moments, I'm looking forward to discussing some ways that I can spread some holiday cheer during my time away from home.


Holiday Survival Guide: Part 1

No comments:

Post a Comment