Monday, December 17, 2012

Travel (And Holiday Overload) Detox

I've been back in DC for a couple of days, and it's been pretty nice. Incrementally, our apartment has started to look less like a hovel...emphasis on "incrementally."
I feel like each time I venture into any kind of store (Starbucks, my current place of employment, ANYWHERE), I immediately drown in Christmas colors and smells and songs and deals. As a Jew who loves and celebrates Christmas, and a Democrat who covets luxury handbags, this has nothing to do with hating Christmas or capitalism or nice things. After a while, it just seems very...noisy.
So, I have decided to work on taking time for quiet. I am not going to hide in my home all day, and there is no way in h-e-double-hockey-sticks that I am parting with Starbucks. I do have some tricks that I think will help me breathe and better appreciate the holiday season.

1. Light a candle and write 

Writing this blog really is quite cathartic. Plus, making this my new quasi-productive activity will make me feel way less guilty about the Diptyque gift to self that I am planning.


2. See a movie



I have been waiting for This Is 40 to come out for such a long time. And by waiting I mean watching the trailer repetitively. I love darkened theaters and I don't even mind that much when some person screams something awkward. Plus, I get to be comfy and spend some time with the dude. We don't have to dress up, we can go to Chadwick's before, and I know we'll have a great night. 

3. Keep track of spending and sent holiday cards


I love these Rifle Paper Co. Pocket Notebooks. 

This is by far the lamest of the three, but at least I can burn a candle while doing it. 
We're sending out our save the dates, so I am starting an address spreadsheet. 
I also have a list of holiday cards I've sent so far (mainly for Hanukkah) and am going to start one for the remaining ones. I absolutely wouldn't care if I received a card twice from someone, but this helps me breathe easier and feel in control. Plus, there is a way smaller chance of wasting postage.
Also, something I've noticed at work is people reciting their shopping lists to themselves. I am totally guilty of this. I also am guilty of buying cute little extras at work because I get a discount. If I have a list where I can hold myself accountable and also remind myself that I've gotten a lovely and very much sufficient gift for someone, my spending will be more restrained. 

I will also be listening to country music and Ke$ha in lieu of "And So This Is Christmas." And drinking Starbucks holiday beverages--after all, it's all about balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment