Friday, November 30, 2012

Dress Jeopardy

One thing I'm very excited about this holiday season is being able to go to the dude's office Christmas party. It is his first season as an "official lawyer" and I am so excited that I get to celebrate it with him.
That being said, I have several things that I need to consider while choosing a dress. First, the dress code for the party is black tie. Second, I am 26 and want to look my age. Finally, I want to spend as little on the dress as possible while bearing in mind that I am no longer in college; consequently, a Forever 21 or H&M dress is no longer appropriate.
Right now, I am returning a dress to a certain large national retailer; so buying either the left or the right dress would cost me less than $70 with store credit. The dress in the middle is less formal but (perhaps I am deluded) I might be able to make it work with black tights, the right jewelry, and a terrific blowout. It is really a dress that I will have to try on in person. I'm feeling optimistic because Free People, the company that makes the dress, has been cutting large recently and that should work in favor of my body type. I also work and live quite close to one of their stores, so it's convenient for me to go in to try the dress on.
It's clear to me that I want to wear the dress in the middle the most; I think it's young and fun and something I could wear multiple times. However, I know I may have to take a more conservative route; I want to make a good impression and don't want to terrorize my fiance's boss by exposing too much skin.
This post was really good for me because it helped me talk through my "dress plan." Not only am I fortunate to be where I am in my life right now, but I am so proud of my fiance, his passing the bar, and his having a job that he likes a lot. At this time last year, a lot was up in the air for him; it is a relief and a joy to see him being as successful he deserves to be.
On a more superficial level, I can't wait to dress up and have a great night with my guy. It will be really special because the office party will be followed by a fraternity alumni Christmas party, and he will turn 25 at midnight. I can't wait to find a dress and start accessorizing it...considering how much I need to talk myself through certain fashion choices, that may have to be a post in itself!


Dress Jeopardy

No comments:

Post a Comment