Wednesday, August 7, 2013

The Best Bad Idea We Have

In the movie Argo, Ben Affleck and Bryan Cranston's characters have to pitch a plan to rescue six Americans from Iran during the hostage crisis. One of the government officials who can approve the mission asks, "You don't have a better bad idea than this?" Bryan Cranston's character responds, "This is the best bad idea we have, sir."



I love doing things spontaneously and often make impulse decisions. However, once a decision is made, I tend to get flustered as I try to make the outcome as perfect as I can. We're moving in 8 days and I have lots and lots of thoughts running around my head. Furniture, packing, timeframes, payments.

I was talking to someone who suggested that our move was not happening at the best time. I still have health problems and am anticipating having another surgery in the next several months, Dude and I are working (me still part-time), and I am auditing a class and hope to audit another in the fall. I'm still in the process of changing my name on everything (tip: start with Social Security card, go to driver's license, then start changing bank/credit card info.)

Despite all of this, I feel that this move is coming at the right time. We need the space and the upgraded amenities (dishwasher! laundry in apartment!) that come with our new place. There is a segment of things, physical and otherwise, that needs to be organized and streamlined when it comes to our new apartment. In contradiction to my intense Pinterest home board (not to mention my creepy secret ones), it will not be horrifying if our couch or our bed are not exactly perfect or if we do take our stupid IKEA dressers because we need them. It will still be our home. We will still love it. It will be.

Sometimes, after all, the best bad ideas we have turn out to be pretty good ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment