Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Taking Care.

The past couple of weeks have been a lot for me, to say the least. They've been productive but they have also been pretty exhausting. The last week in particular has been challenging due to a combination of an amped-up work environment (oh, holiday retail craziness) and travel.
Yesterday, I crashed. I was so exhausted and grumpy that I truly wasn't myself. I am so lucky that I live with someone who was extremely loving, tolerant of my stress, and willing to pick up and eat Bertucci's for dinner. (And that I have my mom, my #1 cheerleader and angry phone call victim.)
Today, I slept until 10:30 (virtually unheard of for me.) I had a minor problem to deal with in the morning, but I resolved it by 12:30. Then the good stuff started to happen. I was already in Georgetown, so I decided to walk around. I didn't buy anything crazy, which I think helped me  feel better--I didn't have the guilt of overshopping and I only got several small things that I knew I'd actually use. One of those things was the peppermint crunch Junior Mints pictured below--a small, sweet indulgence that won't derail my attempt to slim down a bit for my wedding. I wore the mocassins and sweatshirt shown below. They were both so comfortable and enabled me to look somewhat pulled together--of course, the sweatshirt was covered by my peacoat so I doubt many people saw it anyway.
Finally, I came home and started jotting down an idea for a special holiday gift in my crazy pink glitter notebook. I don't care that I'm 26. This notebook is where I put my work schedules, pictures ripped from magazines, and random lists. I have other notebooks (literally 3 or 4), but this one is the one I travel with and love. It keeps me organized and balanced. What could be better?
I know that the stress of the holiday season is far from over. One of my main challenges will be tolerating it better at my job, where the shifts are getting longer and the environment is getting crazier. I go back tomorrow, but over the next couple of days I'll really be taking the time to come up with some ideas to help combat my frustrations and worries and help myself, as my mother says, be the best version of me that I can be. I hope my pink glitter notebook's ready!


Taking Care.

No comments:

Post a Comment