Sunday, May 18, 2014

Good Things Are To Come.

I've been an anxious person for most of my life. I used to set strict goals and rules for myself and be frightened of what would happen if I didn't meet them. 
But then personal issues came about (and still continue to) that render that perspective obsolete. I graduated with my master's degree a little more than a year late and the world continued to move on its axis. I still love reading and analyzing news about international relations--as a result, the lessons and theories I learned in grad school are kept fresh. 
Three months before my wedding, I discovered that I have a chronic health problem that hasn't been resolved yet. I've had four surgeries since May 2013. But I worked when I could at a business where I've met incredible people and gotten new ideas about what I want to do. 
I am in the process of launching my own jewelry line that combines beading bracelets (which is AMAZING for my mental health) and donating a portion of what I make to Wounded Warrior Project. In the future, I hope to contribute to a diverse group of organizations that improve people's lives. 


Surrendering to imperfection has made me a much more pleasant person to be around. I realize that comparing 28 year old Emily to 18 year old Emily just isn't practical--those are two different people and that's ok. I am able to find happiness in places that I never thought I would in my late teens and mid to early twenties. 

It was a big realization to me that making the best of difficult situations can actually lead to some of the happiest and proudest moments of my life. The little moments of happiness are so good, too--coffee in the mornings and driving with Dude, cackling with my mom and sister and girlfriends, getting a big hug from my dad. 


I'm so grateful for the many awesome parts of my life, and I feel much more hopeful than I have before. So hopeful, in fact, that I stole the title of this post from a candle...


Oh well, no one's perfect. Hope everyone has a happy and relaxing Sunday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment