Thursday, July 24, 2014

Things I'm Learning

I haven't blogged in a very long time, mostly because I have been making lots of bracelets and trying to get my company off the ground.

{before the first trunk show on July 13!}

At the same time, I am dealing with health issues but I finally feel like I have some kind of handle on them. There's a plan. I have a doctor specifically for my pain--this has been amazing because I have finally found a regimen where my pain is tolerable but I can actually function like a human being. It's fantastic!! 

So on to what I've learned since, say, April. 
First, doing it the right way. I would love to show up at a store, show them my bracelets and necklaces, have them fall in love with them, and have that be over. In reality, that won't happen. I ordered business cards and postcards describing my business so I will be able to put together a professional looking packet for stores I approach with the goal of having them carry some of my jewelry.
Second, listen to customers. When I sold bracelets at the flea market last spring, a girl mentioned to me that sometimes people just want one bracelet and don't want to deal with stacking a ton of small ones. After that, I added variety to my jewelry--keeping the small bracelets that I call "stackers" but branching out into bracelets with bigger beads. I also was so fortunate to start working part-time for a local jewelry designer who gave me a lot of beads out of the kindness of her heart. Working for her increased my knowledge of precious and semi-precious stones and made me better at making bracelets and necklaces.
Third, take your inspiration when it comes. The amazing receptionist at my doctor's office (who has been dealing with me for WAY too long) asked me to make a necklace and some bracelets for her. I had never made one before but I said I would try my best. The lovely ladies at Beadazzled in Dupont circle helped me out and I was able to make one necklace. The receptionist loved it. She liked the next one I made too. Watching my girlfriends try on my necklaces at my trunk show--at that point, I'd made around 10--was pretty much the coolest thing ever. I am so grateful to Wendy (the receptionist) for unintentionally pushing me in a direction that is working really well for me. 
Fourth, gratitude. Always. For my husband and family. For my dad always reminding me he was proud of me when I felt I was useless and not doing enough. For epic picture texting sessions with my mom (of the bracelets we've made.) For my sweet amazing sister and her keeping it real perspective and her sense of humor. For the fact that said husband has supported me both while I was gross in the hospital and while I was occupying the couch making and pricing bracelets and watching depressing documentaries for hours and hours at a time. For my friends whose support of me has been unrelenting. I haven't always been the easiest to deal with, and they have stuck around and loved me in spite of that. 

So off I go to make some jewelry and take care of myself and enjoy this delightfully--at least for me--overcast day. I'll try to write here more often, and not always about bracelets. There are so many awesome people, places, and things in my world for me to be thankful for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment